Choral Group Winner of the 2011 Washington Area Music Award (“Wammie”)
Winner of the 2012 Greater Washington Choral Excellence “Ovation” Awards
(Best Education Outreach)
OUR STUDENTS WILL:
- Discover the joy of choral singing with many others who share the same passion, and develop a life-long relationship with music
- Achieve the highest choral excellence in every performance by mastering CCW’s vocal technique and by taking on challenging music repertoire from all over the world
- Learn to be responsible and respectful to themselves and to each other. By the end of their journey with us they become collaborative, confident, and compassionate young singers
- Establish friendships with their fellow singers through shared experiences in music and community-building activities, which also strengthen them as ensembles, as artists, and as individuals
- Learning with the best choral program in the nation’s capital
- Life-long friendships through shared music experience and social activities
- Incredible performance opportunities with DC’s professional groups like the National Symphony Orchestra, the Choral Arts Society, and the Washington Chorus at prestigious venues such as the Kennedy Center, Strathmore, White House, and various foreign embassies.
- Choral repertoire diverse in styles, traditions, time periods, and languages
- Improving academic performance in core subjects, specifically mathematics and science, by enhancing your spatial-temporal reasoning ability.
COMPLIANCE WITH DCPS LEARNING STANDARDS FOR ARTS
The curricula for CCW’s choral music programs are in line with the District of Columbia Public School System’s curriculum standards. From the most elementary level (PREP CLASS) to the most advanced level (Concert Chorus), CCW’s faculty provides the music repertoire and activities that would help our students achieve benchmarks appropriate for their skill levels.
Please click HERE for the compliance analysis of CCW’s Music Curriculum (based on DCPS Learning Standards)
Please click HERE for the DCPS Learning Standards for Choral Music
During her 6 years with CCW, our daughter was offered choral opportunities that we couldn’t find anywhere else. She was able to develop her vocal abilities and discipline which then enabled her to excel at and be recognized for her love of singing. Now that she has graduated CCW and is studying voice in college, we have promised her that CCW will stay at the top of our charitable donations list and she promises to do the same when she reaches the MET—and she’s sure she will, thanks to CCW. We are forever indebted.
— Jean and Bill Catherwood
The music reaches a part inside me that only music can reach. The feeling I get is joyful and it makes me feel good about myself.
–Megan, age 12
Yesterday was truly a ray of sunshine in a very bad period in the life of Murch. The Children’s Chorus brought smiles to many faces who have not had them for a while. It was a gift to see true musicianship in action, from not only the singers but the pianist as well. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you all.
—Anne Smith, Music Teacher – Murch Elementary School
…it has been my privilege to listen to and work with the Children’s Chorus of Washington. The degree of flexibility and musicianship is truly outstanding. One forgets the ages of these young performers and is simply transported to the musical worlds they inhabit.
–Leonard Slatkin, Former Music Director, National Symphony Orchestra
“Music Director Joan Gregoryk has made the Children’s Chorus of Washington a model of tonal purity and subtle control.”
“In every aspect, (CCW) easily rivals the finest children’s choirs anywhere— even Austria’s Vienna Boys Choir.”
The Washington Post
The Kiplinger Foundation has been pleased to support CCW for the past 10 years in recognition of its outstanding contributions to music education and fine performances that enrich our community.
–Knight Kiplinger, Trustee, Kiplinger Foundation
Children’s Chorus of Washington truly represents the nation’s capital with its quality education and performance. The Embassy of Finland is pleased with its friendship with the chorus, which has done a remarkable job of introducing Finnish music to the Washington DC community. The children’s ability to learn foreign languages is just as phenomenal as their singing skills.
–Anneli Halonen, Cultural Officer, Embassy of Finland